Creating the users to connect via SSH, by opening Computer Management, makes the process easier.
The usernames and passwords created here will be used to connect with WinSCP and other SSH clients.
Download the latest version from https://cygwin.com/install.html (for this article, Cygwin has been installed on C: drive)
Install from internet
Choose an FTP server located close by, as one downloading files from distant countries can take longer.
• Openssl runtime
• Rsync fast remote file transfer
• Vim Vi Improved – enhanced
To add a user:
1. Login to the Windows System
2. Using any text editor open passwd located in the C:cygwinetc folder
3. Copy a line containing an existing username
4. On to a new line, paste and modify the username and home directory of the new user.
Use the following command and choose yes for all the options:
Start the sshd service with the following command:
net start sshd
Example scenario: Creating a backup user ID
Open the passwd file and as shown here, copy a line belonging to a user to the last line:
- How the line appears before making the changes:
- How it should appear afterwards:
With the backup username and password, open a connection using SSH (PuTTY) and change the password using the passwd command.
The backup user ID is now ready for use.